Student Health Services provides professional, accessible, and cost-effective primary care services to registered students at FIU -- with an emphasis on health education, prevention and self-care.
FREE Services (covered by the Student Health Fee)
- Routine medical exams for illness and injury
- Physical examinations not requiring documentation
- Individual medical consultations
- Family planning consultations
- Health education; access to a resource library
- Screening for high blood pressure and other conditions
Services Provided at Nominal Fees
- Laboratory tests: strep screen, chemistries, blood count, mono test, cholesterol, urinalysis, and others
- EKG testing
- Treatment for sexually transmitted diseases
- Treatment for respiratory therapy
- Vision screenings
- Women’s health services include pap smears, pregnancy tests, birth control, etc.
- Pharmacy Services include prescription and over-the-counter medications
- TB screenings
- Immunizations: measles, mumps, rubella, hepatitis, influenza, tetanus, HPV and more
SERVICES NOT PROVIDED
- X rays and other sophisticated diagnostic testing
- Specialty physician care (i.e obstetrics, surgery, orthopedics, ophthalmology, cardiology, gastroenterology, etc.) and dental care
- Emergency care after clinic hours
- Overnight infirmary services
If the above services are needed or requested, referrals will be made to several local hospitals, pharmacies and physicians. The student must assume financial responsibility for these services, as the Student Health Fee only covers services which are performed at the campus student health clinics. To help offset these costs, the University strongly recommends purchase of health insurance. Brochures describing special student health insurance plans are available at the Student Health Services offices on both campuses or click Health Insurance.